Изменить размер шрифта   Версия для печати

A world without sex

Don't speak Russian? Over here, welcome!

Модератор: Модераторы

A world without sex

Сообщение Kraknor » 03 мар 2013 18:05

I was having a discussion the other day with someone over what the world would be like if sex had never existed (as in, people could still reproduce, but there was no pleasure from the act).

My argument was that overall, sex has had a much greater negative impact on society than any positive benefits. Mathematically speaking, I proposed integrating the net happiness of the human species over all time, showing that the value is much less in the world we live in than a world with no sexual pleasure.

Some reasons I offered:

*No sexually transmitted diseases (HIV kills 1.8 million people per year).
*No rape.
*Over-population wouldn't be a problem.
*Gender inequality would be less prevalent.
*Less relationship destabilisation (so greater family cohesion).
*Body image problems less of an issue (so eating disorders would be practically non-existent).
*Mental illness rates would drop (currently affects approx 25% of people at some point in their life).

Their counter-argument: "If 80% of people are getting pleasure from sex, that produces more happiness than all of those factors combined many times over."

Interestingly enough, about 50% of people I spoke to agreed with me that sex was a net negative to the world. What do you think of this? How do we persuade people that a little bit of pleasure is not worth this much suffering?
Kraknor

Re: A world without sex

Сообщение prude » 05 мар 2013 03:34

Ask them whether they have consensual incest.
prude
IAM Member

Сообщение TheCursed » 17 мар 2013 18:38

prude писал(а):Ask them whether they have consensual incest.

What?
TheCursed

Сообщение prude » 18 мар 2013 00:59

TheCursed писал(а):What?

Lulz. I mean to ask people what they think about incest. In other words, whether they avoid incest but not other types of sex. Why? Because I bet they can't explain themselves. They can't explain how incest avoidance works. But they think having sex other than incest is obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NoPybdbn6c
prude
IAM Member

Сообщение TheCursed » 18 мар 2013 16:29

Well, it's obviously a social thing... It has a lot to do with the role and importance of family in modern societies.
TheCursed

Сообщение prude » 18 мар 2013 17:16

TheCursed писал(а):It has a lot to do with the role and importance of family in modern societies.

Where did you learn this from?
prude
IAM Member

Сообщение TheCursed » 28 мар 2013 16:25

prude писал(а):
TheCursed писал(а):It has a lot to do with the role and importance of family in modern societies.

Where did you learn this from?

It is not knowledge, it is speculation.
TheCursed

Сообщение prude » 10 апр 2013 20:58

TheCursed писал(а):it is speculation.

OK. But what kind of speculation is it? Are you concluding the speculation from something else, or are you just "hallucinating" the speculation?
prude
IAM Member

Сообщение prude » 18 апр 2013 00:14

The problem with the answer that supposedly incest avoidance is "modern" is that it begs the question. Specifically, it does not explain what the causes of incest avoidance are, or what is "modern" about supposedly "modern" societies that makes people avoid incest.

The reason the subject of incest avoidance is important is because incest avoidance is "normal," while avoidance of non-incestuous sex is not.
prude
IAM Member

Сообщение TheCursed » 06 июн 2013 16:25

Incest over generations has a bad effect on the offsprings (increased probability of inherent defects). It is possible that our race has learned that in the long run and hence there were societies prevail (carrying that knowledge), we tend to avoid incest.

Of course nowadays inest will much less often lead to inbreeding, but the taboo has remained.
TheCursed

Вернуться в English